Importance of Kids Regular Teeth Cleanings
For some kids, the dentist’s chair is dreadful, while others only receive dental care when there is a problem with their teeth, such as cavities or toothaches. But if your child is to enjoy a healthy and beautiful smile, regularly visiting our kids’ dentist in Phoenix, AZ, should be part of your plan.
Most parents help their little ones clean their teeth each day. However, bringing them for teeth cleaning near you will ensure that their teeth remain healthy and strong.
What Is Teeth Cleaning?
One of the ways that you can enhance your oral health is by undergoing professional teeth cleaning. Teeth cleaning near you is also an essential part of your child’s oral health. The whole idea behind teeth cleaning is to maintain and enhance dental hygiene.
Teeth cleaning goes beyond preventing certain oral health issues. It is also essential in maintaining your child’s overall health as well as their oral health because oral health and overall health are tethered.
Regular teeth cleanings will help remove plaque and tartar in your kid’s mouth responsible for causing cavities and gum disease. Teeth cleanings are as important as taking a shower each day when caring for their developing teeth.
This is why our dentist encourages our patients to bring their children to the best pediatric dentistry in Phoenix for regular teeth cleaning to ensure that they have optimum dental health.
What to Expect From Kids’ Teeth Cleaning
Kids’ teeth cleaning is an essential dental service that helps prevent many dental issues. Our kids’ dentist in Phoenix, AZ, recommends that you bring your child for cleanings at least twice each year.
During your child’s appointment, you can expect the following to take place:
- Our dentist will examine your child’s head and neck to ensure that the jaw and lymph nodes are normal and healthy. This is performed to ascertain that there are no external irregularities that may need further tests. If this is the case, then X-rays may be necessary.
- Next, our dentist will ask your child to do a quick rinse of their mouth before commencing with the examination inside your kid’s mouth. Our dentist will check for cavities, broken fillings, cracked teeth, and signs of gum disease, among other things.
- After the examination, the cleaning begins. Our dentist will use a series of tools to remove plaque and tartar from the teeth’s surface and in between the teeth. If your kid has gum disease, the cleaning will be a bit more extensive. This means that our dentist will have to clean slightly below the gumline.
- Our dentist may choose to also perform professional flossing.
- Then, if necessary, fluoride varnish may be applied to your kid’s teeth to make them stronger
- After this, the teeth will be polished to prevent excessive plaque buildup in future
- When the procedure is done, our dentist may discuss how you can help your kid improve their oral hygiene routine. Plus, if any issues may need extra attention, our dentist will ask you to schedule another appointment.
Our dentist may also discuss with you if you’d wish to help prevent cavities from developing in your kid’s back teeth by applying dental sealants. If you love the idea, our dentist may discuss with you when and how they can be applied.
The Importance of Kids’ Regular Teeth Cleanings
Prevention is always an excellent way to go. Teeth cleanings are one way that you can help prevent a myriad of dental issues. Also, it is a beautiful sight to see your child have a bright and healthy smile. Besides the above, let’s look at some other teeth cleaning benefits:
- Reduces the risk of cavities – Cavities come about after bacteria attack food and release harmful digestive acids that corrode the enamel. So, when you bring your kid for teeth cleaning, our dentist has the chance to remove plaque and tartar
- Prevents gum disease – routine teeth cleaning will help prevent plaque and tartar buildup along the gum line, which causes gum disease
- Reduces bad breath – Eating sugary treats and other foods without cleaning your kid’s teeth may result in bad breath. Regular cleaning will help prevent bad breath
How Often Kids Should Get a Teeth Cleaning
As mentioned earlier, routine dental visits are vital for your child’s developing teeth. So, we recommend that your kid visits us after every six months. In other words, twice a year. However, it can be more than twice a year if our dentist has noticed an issue that needs extra care to ensure that nothing escalates.
If you wish to bring your kid to have their teeth cleaned, contact us at Desert Ridge Pediatric Dentistry to schedule an appointment.