Silver diamine fluoride
Dental caries, commonly known as cavities, is a bacteria driven, generally chronic, site specific, multifactorial disease. Traditional treatment for caries involves excavation (drilling) of irreversibly decayed tooth structure and replacement with a restorative material (filling).
Treatment can be challenging when treating young children with limited coping ability. Using an approach with Silver Diamine Fluoride, slows down or arrests (STOPS) the carious process and once this happens caries removal can be done at a later date or not restored at all.
It is applied directly to cavities to instantly stop the process of decay. It is 90% effective
- Has been used extensively for decades in numerous countries.
- Kills pathogenic microorganisms that cause cavities
- Hardens soft Dentin
- Prevents pit and fissure decay
- Does not stain healthy enamel
- Does stain decayed or demineralized sites as decay arrests.
Does stain skin and oral tissue and causes “temporary tattooing” that will fade in 2-3 days.
Recommended Frequency For Caries Control
- Based on risk levels and caries activity
- We recommend 3 applications in a 3 month period.
- The cost is significantly lower than a filling!
Sdf is an effective agent in stopping dental caries. It is simple and quick to apply
“The important thing is having an antimicrobial step to control and arrest the caries prior to entering the restorative phase.”